Encounter With A 600 lb. Elk

If you were reading a few days ago, I plugged a couple of upcoming indy wrestling shows. Shows don;t occur too often around here anymore, so I jumped at the chance to work on a PWA show here in Victoria, BC. I had such a good time catching up with people, and enjoyed being back in the show atmosphere again that even though my booking for the next night’s All Star Wrestling show fell through, I decided to head up to Campbell River anyway, just to help out or hang out.

Of course, the number one rule of wrestling is “always bring your gear”. I can honestly say that actually wrestling has been the furthest thing from my mind for the last couple years. As a result, and in addition to the effects of some illness and medications I was required to take, let’s just say I was far from in “ring shape” let alone any kind of shape.

But, as things always always seem to go, I ended up wrestling my old nemesis Disco Fury in the opener. I won’t lie and say that it was a mat classic, but it was great to be in a ring again, even if it was for the last time. Disco and I have literally had hundreds of matches over the years, and I don’t think I would have done the match if it had been with anyone else.

Everything to do with the weekend went fine. I stayed safe, and even though I hadn’t been in the ring for a year-and-a-half, I came out unscathed. Of course, that would very quickly change.

I climbed in a van with longtime referee Mr. Thug and wrestler/ BCW promoter Dirty Money for the three hour ride home to Victoria. We got no more than 15 minutes out of town before we were stopped dead in our tracks. Both literally and figuratively.

The culprit of the tracks-stopping was a 600 lb. elk. We have no idea where it came from. The road was clear, and then all of a sudden, there it was. There was just enough time for Thug to yell out a very naughty, one syllable word. I cannot really describe the impact. It was, however, ROUGH. We hit the elk, and it flew up into the windshield right in front of my face, actually striking me before continuing to flip right over the top of the van (I think). If you look at the pictures, you’ll see what I mean.

Right after the massive impact, it felt like jumping off the high diving board at the pool and landing in the water face-first as all the glass showered my face. My right leg was also torn up from the knee to the ankle as I was wearing shorts. I got a mouthful of glass, and a few days later I am STILL finding glass in my ears, up my nose, in my scalp, hands, everywhere. The next day it was still in my shoes and socks.

Everyone got rattled severely from the impact. I’m still stiff and sore and walk like the Iron Sheik. My head is healing way fast, and my leg looks nothig like it did even yesterday. We were very lucky that a first aid attendant was driving past, and he was able to check on us and make sure the RCMP and an ambulance were on the way. Initially, I was told that I’d need to go to the hospital, but after getting cleaned up a bit, they realized none of my cuts needed stitches. I did have hundreds of cuts, mind you, but they were all caused by smaller pieces of flying glass, and not major shards or anything.

We were also kindly told of all the recent deaths that have occurred on the highway under similar circumstances. Thug did a great job of handling the wheel, even given the short reaction time he had. Most people try to swerve and not only hit the animal, but roll their vehicle as well. Long story short, the police were expecting us to be dead, and at first didn’t realize that who they thought was a witness or bystander they were talking to was actually Dirty Money, who had been IN the van!

So we are all very lucky. And I can joke that I took an elk’s butt to the face and lived to talk about. Even perhaps comment on any recent meals he had eaten. When you look at what was left of the van, you can see how very close I came to being killed. It’s a very humbling (second Sheiky reference!) and sobering (obviously not a Sheik reference) experience.

Thanks to everyone who has expressed their concern and sent well-wishes. This is definitely something I will never forget, and all of them were very much appreciated.

And now, a few pictures…

2 Responses to “ Encounter With A 600 lb. Elk ”

  1. […] for the All Star Wrestling show expecting to be the ring announcer. Instead, as he explained on his blog, he ended up in the ring: Of course, the number one rule of wrestling is “always bring your […]

  2. why have these photos gone Emele? what about a tribute/memorial page? Dad wanted to load up what he had received – seems you have control of this site now, so how about it? Happy to do it from this end, as was intended, if you are too busy. thanks, k

Leave a Reply

You can use these XHTML tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <strong>